Surfing is my favorite sport. Duck diving waves, cutbacks, barrels and more. There are a few cornerstone rules I maintain while surfing. These are the best ways to be safe while surfing!
- Surf with a Buddy – Anything can happen while surfing: currents, wildlife, even your own board could hit you during a wipe out. It is super important to surf with a partner at least; keep an eye on each other periodically and stick to a similar session time.
- Never turn your back on the ocean. – One humble surf instructor explained this one to me. Always be at least parallel to the beach but always face the surf. Waves (swells) can come up at anytime and easily overtake you. Always be ready – and watching the waves roll in. Even upon your return to shore, you should be constantly checking the surf behind you.
- Spend Time Watching the Surf. – Before you paddle out, scan the entire beach for up to 10 minutes. Do you see rocks? Which direction are the waves breaking (left or right) and where? How fast are the sets coming in? Pick a time when the water is calm to paddle out quickly! Go for the channel where the waves aren’t breaking as much to take advantage of the the rip current. Get to know the waves you are about to take by sitting quietly and studying the surf before you paddle out.
- Warm up! Roll your shoulders, ankles and get your blood flowing before hitting the water. Touch your chin to each shoulder because you’ll check the waves/shore (looking left & right) often.
- Pick a Focus Point on Shore. – Pick a reference point on shore before you go in the water. Periodically check where you are at during your paddle out and after taking waves.
- Look left & right. As you are paddling into the wave take a look left and right to make sure you aren’t dropping in on someone else’s wave.
- Take Lessons Often! I still get lessons from my husband from time to time. He is a pro surfer and native surf instructor at Casa Verde Surf Retreat in Costa Rica. Book a week long vacation in paradise in semi-inclusive digs minutes away from the best year round surf in Costa Rica. It’s easy to reserve your week at Casa Verde, DM and enquire about availability. All payments are finalized only upon arrival. See you in Costa Rica soon!
Book a week surfing in paradise at Casa Verde Surf Yoga Retreat.
Add your own surf tips in the comment section below!
With Fall well underway we look back at the final days of Canadian Summer! Canadian supermodel Theresa Longo strikes a pose along the Lake Ontario shoreline! All photos by Hans Janzen…
CHFA East is Canada’s largest conference and trade show for the natural health and organics industry. It’s the place to meet the industry’s top manufacturers, distributors and brokers, face-to-face. This show is not open to the general public, so theresalongo.com took the time to reveal the most impressive brands we found at the show! Read on!
For several years I champion the benefits of Natera Superfood Products. Those who know me, know that in real life I eat hemp and stay super healthy. Recently Natera unveiled a brand new product to the market: bars combining organic toasted hemp seeds, organic hemp protein and HempOmega™ 3-6-9. See why they are SO amazing….
Revita Blū is a powerful wellness formula containing a botanical blend of blue-green algae, sea buckthorn berry and aloe vera with coconut water powder. Tastes like berry and mixes with any liquid to create an immune supporting, hydrating drink. Now you can try it for yourself – share this post to win a sample of RevitaBlu!